Osho Tapoban - INTRODUCTION
Osho Tapoban is an international commune that stood up by the effort of Swami Anand Arun, an intimate disciple of Osho and coordinator of Osho Tapoban and Osho lovers / sannyasins.
Osho had a desire to live in the Himalayas during last days of His life. But due to certain unavoidable circumstances this could not happen.
During His visit to Nepal He had directed Swami Arun to build a commune which would be just outside the city and not too far away and not too close either, easily accessible to the seekers and could accommodate 100 people for camps and a hall that could accommodate 200+ people for meditation.
Swami Arun and friends were desperately searching for such a place in Kathmandu. They viewed many places outside valley, but were still unsatisfied. Then finally they came across the hills of Nagarjuna forest, where Buddhist saint Nagarjuna had meditated and attained ultimate enlightenment.
This was the place where Osho Tapoban came to be in existence. With the undying efforts of Sw. Arun and Osho lovers in Nepal, Osho Tapoban laid its foundation and hence a commune flourished under the guidance of Osho.
Osho Tapoban is a trust, registered under the rules of the Government of Nepal on 1990.
Since then Osho Tapoban has been developing day by day with its varieties of activities. Now Osho Tapoban has common rooms, dormitories, deluxe rooms that can easily accommodate 100 people for Meditation Camps, a beautiful Meditation Hall to accommodate 200 people for meditation and 500 for discourses.
We have our own Sujata kitchen which serves hygienic vegetarian food for the people staying and visiting Tapoban. A beautiful sculpture garden has also been set up.
The grand place to be at Osho Tapoban is The OSHO SAMADHI, were the sacred remains of Osho's body have been kept.
Besides the scenic beauty all the year round one can feel the energy and the vibe of Osho every where at Osho Tapoban. Tapoban is being popular among Osho Lovers and the visitors from Nepal and other countries too.
Osho Tapoban is the place to be, the place where one can get inner peace, explore yourself in a meditative environment and a place that will remain in your heart for ever and you won't afford to miss this place.
Love is not enough, awareness is needed. If love is there without awareness it becomes imprisonment and if love is there with awareness it becomes a freedom.
Osho Tapoban lies in the western side of Kathmandu. It is about twelve kilometers from Tribhuwan International Airport, about ten kilometers from Kathmandu city center and six kilometers from Balaju New Bus Park.
General Information for Visitor
- Osho Tapoban is An International Commune and Forest Retreat Center. It is a non-profit oriented organization and operated as per the vision of Osho. Osho Tapoban is the only Osho center outside Pune Commune which has five sessions of daily meditation and regular meditation camps and has a residential facilities to suit the visitors through out the year.
- Osho Tapoban is a trust, registered under the Social Welfare council of the Government of Nepal. It is operated by a group of trustees under the guidance Bodhisattwa Swami Anand Arun Acharya, the coordinator of Osho Tapoban.
- Osho Tapoban is mainly for the people on the path. This is the place for those who are interested in meditation and peace of mind. Anyone can come for a short visit, admiring nature, bird watching and for retreat.
- You can stay at Tapoban for as long as you wish. For tourists, as long as the visa permits.
- We provide all the basic needs for accommodation. But you can bring a Torch Light so that it will be easy for you to walk safely in the night. An umbrella will also be a good option as it frequently rains here specially in spring.
- Avoid bringing children below 10 years old. But, if you bring them then you must make arrangements that they do not disturb you and others in the commune, otherwise they are most welcome. You can bring in a caretaker.
- Pets are not allowed in the commune.
- Osho Tapoban is a Buddha field. We wish people visiting Osho Tapoban take part in regular meditation. But if somebody want to stay here with solely retreat purpose, he/she can stay here without disturbing the serene and calm atmosphere of the commune.
- Osho Tapoban is an alcohol free zone. You CANNOT bring in any type of alcoholic drinks and cannot enter the commune when you have drunk. If somebody is found doing such things inside the commune, administration of the commune can immediately expel such persons out from the commune.
- Osho Tapoban provides pure vegetarian food at its Sujata Kitchen for the people staying at Ashram. Your charge for accommodation includes food for the day also. Non-vegetarian is strictly prohibited inside the premises of the commune.
Separate dining for western friends: For 1 Euro extra per day, guests will be provided with three continental meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) at our Zorba restaurant.
- Osho Tapoban has the facility of Communication like STD, ISD, local calls. Internet and email facilities are provided for guests staying here at a reasonable cost. Wireless access to the internet can be purchased on per day basis from the office.
- The coordinator of Osho Tapoban is Bodhisattwa Swami Anand Arun Acharya; an intimate disciple of Osho and the initiator of Osho movement in Nepal. You can meet him personally after taking an appointment from the Osho Tapoban staffs.
- Tapoban is situated beside the Royal Nagarjun Forest, which is guarded by the Royal Nepalese Army. Summer Royal palace is also situated here at Nagarjun Hills. Because of this Tapoban is safe to stay and easy to reach. Osho Tapoban is the safest place to be.
- Osho Tapoban appreciates help of any kind that you can provide us, may that be money, assets or any other way.
- Osho Tapoban has a library with almost entire Osho Literature in Hindi, English, audio, Video. You can study these or lease for the duration of your stay. Besides Osho literature, we carry vast literature from other masters and religions.